Yes, National Rum Day really is a thing. And wouldn’t you know it? Today’s the day. So why not celebrate all things rum by mixing up an old favourite with a new twist, and switch out whiskey for Cruzan Rum in this refreshing take on an Old Fashioned.
The folks at Cruzan want you to celebrate National Rum day by mixing up the classic whiskey cocktail with some of their famous rum instead. The rum they suggest is the Cruzan Single Barrel and Cruzan Estate Diamond Dark which are both aged in ex-bourbon barrels and feature the same complex, full-bodied taste you can expect in fine whiskey. Keen whiskey drinkers will notice these rums are slightly sweeter than the tipple they’re used to, but will certainly appreciate the depth of flavor.
Here’s their recipe for a Cruzan Coconut Old Fashioned, well worth a try on today of all days:
Cruzan® Coconut Old Fashioned
- 2 parts Cruzan® Single Barrel Rum
- 1/2 part Rich Simple Syrup
- 3 dashes of Bitters
- Coconut Water Ice Cubes (recipe to follow)
- Cut a wide swath of orange peel and lightly press it in the bottom of a rocks glass. Add rum, syrup and bitters. Now drop in a few coconut water ice cubes and stir gently.
- Coconut Water Ice Cubes:
- Pour a can of coconut water (strain the pulp out first, if needed) in an ice cube tray – the bigger the cube tray the better – and freeze for several hours.